Sunday, May 31, 2009

Relaxing Sunday

Hello All !
Hope your having a nice relaxing Sunday too. I love Sundays like this....the sun was shining, but not overly warm yet here in Georgia - it's almost 6:00 PM here and it's about 88 degrees outside...now to some of you that might seem kinda warm but for me it's nice and the humidity is still low. I can handle weather like this...couple more weeks and the humidity will start getting higher and higher each day and then it will start getting in the 90's - that's when you start to melt when you go outside. But for now it's wonderful. The flowers in my front yard are really pretty - all different colors too!


































Jitterbug was silly today too -- I found myself giggling at him many times today, he has a new place to sleep, it's an Olive Garden bag and he is so funny when he's sleeping in it.
What else made the day relaxing and enjoyable ?

I got to cooked today ! Now I cook almost everyday, but today I cooked several things - some I had never cooked before, some I only cook once in a while. I cooked Chicken and Rice for lunch/supper which is one of those things I only cook once in while...not sure why because it's not hard - I guess because it's one of those things you can't just cook a little bit, when I cooked Chicken and Rice it's something we end up eating for several days. It doesn't freeze well so you have to eat it til it's gone or you just get so tired of it that you throw the rest of it away. So after you have it several days in a row you wait a while before you cook it again. I also cooked some fruit compote for the first time using splenda. I had some mixed fruit in the freezer ( peaches, mango, strawberry, pinapple blend) and I wanted to use it up so I made this fruit compote which turned out really good ! I will make it again and I guess you could use any kind of fruit you had - frozen or fresh. So simple :
2 cups of fruit,
1/2 cup Splenda,
1/4 cup red wine ( or any wine you like to drink would work ),
1 cup of water
heat in a sauce pan until boiling. While you waiting - mix 3 Tbsp of cornstarch with 1/2 cup cold water. When fruit is boiling mix in the cornstarch mixture and heat til it's thickened ( don't over thicken because as it cools it will still get a little thicker, but if you do then add a little water to it before serving to get the thickness you want ), take off the heat and add 1/2 tsp vanilla and 1/8 tsp cinnamon - let cool.
I also made Bisquick shortcakes to spoon the sauce over and top with a little whip cream -- YUMMY !!!!!
I think later I may make some pop over pancakes so we can have them for breakfast this week with some of the fruit sauce, I have never made these pop over pancakes before but they look really simple and really good. I'll let you know how they turn out !

I love to cook when I have the time and can try new things. I'm so lucky cause my husband and I are both pretty adventurous and are willing to try new things - if they are good I make them again, if not we don't eat them again, but we always give something a chance! It's a good way to change up your everyday menu when you are getting tired of the same old standbys - try new things and get new standbys!

I have also been STUMBLING today ...no not physically, but on Google you can download an ap that is called STUMBLE .... it's fun and addicting ! You just hit the button and it takes you to different websites based on your preferences....I get alot of cooking sites and blogs and crafting sites....few games too. I love it because I love to check out what everyone else is doing and I get some really good recipes and things to try from the websites I stumble upon! Lots of really cool craft websites too, with some really neat and simple ideas. Just added to the relaxation of the day. I also got a couple loads of clothes washed and dishes done....so all in all it's been a very, productive and relaxing day.

Now I think I will go try out the shortcake and fruit sauce !!


Have a great week everyone and try out stumble and find some new recipes to try !


1 comment:

Anonymous said...

Sounds and looks yummy! Thanks for the recipe-may have to try it!